Schenevus was first known as Jacksonboro when it was settled in 1793. It was the only incorporated village in the town of Maryland when it was incorporated on June 6 1870. The name Schenevus was given in 1848 when the second post office was opened. The name Schenevus comes from an Indian word meaning speckled fish.
Chief Schenevus and his daughter, Manaho, are an important part of the town's legendary heritage. The legend tells of Manaho, who was pursued by many warriors but she refused them because she only loved Manatee. The two had a favorite meeting spot of which is presently known as Manaho Gorge.