Schenevus Central School
History of Andrew S. Draper Central School
| In 1872 the
Schenevus Academy was erected on Arch Street. In 1879 the school was
changed from a graded school to a Union Free School. In 1911 the
Schenevus High School was built at a cost of $25,000. The last
graduation from this building was in 1940. Later this building was
used to house fire equipment, the village offices and a glove shop.
It was torn down in 1976 to make room for an apartment
The current school building on Main Street replaced the older high school. Construction began in July 1940 after the townships of Maryland, Westford, Milford, Decatur, and Roseboom voted to centralize. The current building was opened in September of 1941. The school was named after Andrew S. Draper, a native of Westford, who served as the first Commissioner of Education in New York from 1904 - 1913.
Historical information and photos provided courtesy of Mr. and Mrs. Stanley Barnes.
Click here to learn more about Draper Central School
Click here to learn about the town of Schenevus